Mysore style self-practice
Whether you are looking to advance your self- practice or currently struggling with an injury our intention will be to help you progress with clarity and intelligence.
Some classes will consist of a led portion, outlining the “how’s and why’s” of sequential practices.
We will finish each practice session with a short discussion to elaborate and help you integrate new information and to answer any questions you may have.
Asana Lab with Ron Reid
We will embark on a journey of exploration through a series of workshops devoted to truly deepening your practice. We believe that understanding this is rather intricate and requires passion and dedication as well as developing anatomical awareness to guide us. Here are two examples of Asana Labs:
- Deep hip openers and twists.
In this “Asana Lab” we will explore a variety of hip opening preparations that can lead eventually to poses like Eka Pada Sirsasana or “ leg behind the head ”. They can also shed some light on challenges or limitations you may be experiencing in your knees. We will also explore key actions involved in maximizing the benefit in twists.
- Deeper and healthier backbends.
In this “Asana Lab” our theme will be finding balance as we go deeper! We will be exploring the backbend portion of Ashtanga’s intermediate series to find a balance between the areas of our bodies that need to open versus the areas which require strengthening and stabilizing, and why.
“Yin” or “Chandra” Restorative practice
We will be working with the “moon” or lunar practice of Restorative Yoga to balance the “sun” or solar energies of the vinyasa practice.
The practice of Yoga is ultimately about balance. Having busy lives can often take us off-kilter. Restorative Yoga is a form of Yoga that benefits all of the organs and systems of the body, by facilitating a deep and profound relaxation of the physical, emotional and spiritual Self.
This course includes a Manual.
- Restorative pranayama - Nadi Shodhana, Viloma pranayama
- Restorative theory - effects of Restorative Yoga on the autonomic nervous system
- Natural body alignment - a "Neutral Spine" theory, How to read the bodies.
- Role of Teacher - as nurturer, supporter, mother goddess, mother earth.
- Beginner Level - restorative Pranayama forward bends, backbends, twists, inversions, Shavasana.
- Shavasana hands on healing
- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali 1.1-1.4: defining Yoga as a settling of the mind into stillness. Detailing the 5th limb "Pratyahara", the withdrawal of the senses and its importance in practice.
- Hands on healing, crystal healing, integrating your vinyasa class with Restorative.
- Ayurveda and Restorative Yoga - integrating supportive practices to balance the dosha's.
- The "Holy Moon Trinity": menses, pregnancy and meno-pause poses and hormonal moon shifts.
- Sequencing a beginner Restorative class.
- Fostering the oral language of Restoration, alignment and enhancement cues, bringing the atmosphere of poetry into class.